Worst hotel experience I’ve ever had. This is the first review I’ve ever wrote, so believe me when I say it was not a good.
I checked into the hotel with no issue. When getting to the room, we put our things in the fridge. We tried to roll down the blinds because our window was completely exposed and open on the first floor. The blinds didn’t work and we had to call maintenance. He couldn’t fix it so we could only have the blinds all the way down in blackout mode 24/7. Not the end of the world but that started a series of unfortunate events.
We then realized that the fridge was not cold at all. We had to call maintenance again, they replaced the fridge. However our food he spoiled and had to be thrown out.
We noted the microwave plate was gone.We then realized our bathroom had absolutely 0 towels. When trying to speak with customer service on the phone they were very rude, continued to talk over you. She continued to try to make decisions for me. After finally settling the misunderstanding, I continued to receive more and more disrespect on the phone with further calls in regards to extending a stay. The building is loud, you literally hear everything. So be prepared to be woken up at anytime of the night.People in the rooms leave their garbage out in the hallway- probably why there were many decent sized spiders around the room.i tried to ask for a credit for the food that I had to throw away due to the fridge and other inconveniences and was offered a $5 discount.