I stayed at the Wheatbaker for 3 weeks in August this year with my son, mainly for a business trip.
- polite and attentive staff
- great, well-maintained decor and superb facilities overall
- fantastic gym
- good covid-compliant hygiene/other covid-related measures
- delicious food
- great onsite gym
- wonderful poolside setting for business meetings
- a well-managed business centre
- very comfortable bedroom
- Problems with wifi on one crucial evening when I was due to dial onto a board meeting online. This caused untold stress as I wasn't sure if the wifi issue would be resolved in time for the meeting
- during the 2nd week of our stay, I received a call from reception suggesting that I make a part payment on my room extras bill. I have never had this happen at any hotel I have stayed in and found this incredibly insulting
- theft: some cash and an ipod were stolen from our bedroom. I have never had anything stolen from a hotel in all the years that I have travelled globally both for work and leisure. I reported the theft to management who were most apologetic and investigated after we left the hotel and returned to the UK. I was then told that I would be refunded the full cost of the lost ipod provided I gave the hotel proof of purchase and my bank details. I provided this information and, despite chasing, I am yet to be refunded by the hotel. This, more than anything, is what makes me rate the hotel so low for staff and service (terrible).